Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Community Supported Agriculture Coming to Franklin Avenue

I may have staged the photo in my living room with store-bought veggies, but the announcement is real: starting at the end of May, organic local produce will be available in Crown Heights! In cooperation with Just Food, a local farmer will be selling shares in his or her crop this spring, and shareholders will be able to pick up a box of freshly harvested food every Tuesday night near the 2-3-4-5 Franklin Avenue stop on Eastern Parkway from May through November. Shares cost a pretty penny up front--tentative prices are $550 for a full share aimed at 3-5 people, and $375 for a partial share--but are worth it in the long run, clocking in at somewhere between $20-25 a week for high quality organic grub. Partner up with some friends to keep costs down, and both your taste buds and your conscience will thank you.

For more information, or to reserve a share, email crownheightscsa@gmail.com or call 347.715.5777.

3 comments:

  1. Just had to tell you I love this blog!!

    I live on Franklin a couple blocks from the 2,3/4,5 and the pics, comments and info are always a welcome treat. I'm really interested in the organic veggies but I would need to share a membership with a couple of people. I live alone and I'd hate to see good stuff go to waste. Let me know if you or anyone you know would be interested in sharing...

    www.liquidjill.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've already partnered with a few people for veggies, but that's totally the way to go. If I hear of anyone who's looking for the same, I'll send them your way.

    Great site yourself--I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that CSA is spreading slowly and steadily in different parts of the world. I think this CSA program will improve the health of consumers and the farmers are also benefited because they get financial help when needed. So I hope these CSA programs will spread all over the world. Thanks for posting about this topic.

    My URL-
    http://www.agri4b.com/

    ReplyDelete