Thursday, June 04, 2009

North From Brooklyn





























I had to be at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island for a National Running Day event at 7:45, so I pulled my shoes on at 5:45 and headed out the door, stopping along the way to take some photos with my camera phone. The image quality isn't great, but it gives a feel for the route: up Bedford Avenue (2nd photo) to the Williamsburg Bridge (my favorite of Brooklyn's three East River Bridges to run over: it's the longest and has the best views because it sits just past the curve in the river), and then up the East River to Randall's Island. I was planning to cross the Ward's Island Bridge at 102nd Street, but the guy who's job it is to lower the bridge apparently slept in (last photo).
I did a bit of grumbling as I made my way up and over the Triborough Bridge, both because I was late and because I refuse to call it the RFK Bridge. Yes, RFK would have made a great president and his early death was a tragic loss, but I'm not going to condone spending $4 million to rename a bridge after American royalty in the middle of a recession. It's not as though RFK goes unacknowledged or unremembered in NYC, and I'd like to think he'd have preferred to see that money spent elsewhere. Still, all in all, it was a great run.

No comments:

Post a Comment