Thursday, August 06, 2009

Donuts!



This simple, no-frills donut shop on Nostrand and Church was a great surprise this morning. The place is a total throwback, from the sign (as far as I know, nothing established since 1970 has been called a "Luncheonette") to the teal sine-wave linoleum counters and matching chrome-and-cushion bar stools to the snappy, amiable lady in a white apron and matching cap who served me my donuts. When I asked how long they'd been around, she quipped "Longer than you've been alive, that's for sure," and then cackled for a moment before smiling sympathetically. "My husband's owned it for 34 years, and it was here before that . . . maybe 50 years?"

The donuts are 80 cents a pop, and the rest of the menu, which I didn't try, is similarly diner-esque and frugal: breakfast plates for $3.50, etc. The donuts themselves were fantastic--I ordered a custard creme, which lacked the gooey heaviness of most mass-produced donut fillings and tasted more like actual cream, and a "honey dip," which looked like your standard glazed donut but actual tasted like honey, instead of crusted corn syrup.

I could picture this place being absolutely swamped in another neighborhood, but it seems to be off the radar so far: a google search turned up only some minor health-code violations (nothing that made me worry about my donuts) and a solitary positive review from a Californian passing through. It's easy enough off the train (right at the Church stop on the 2-5 line), so go check them out the next time you're craving a homemade donut and some old-timey atmosphere.

3 comments:

  1. You should check out Michael's, the meat shop right across the road. Went there for a column a few months ago.

    http://nypress.com/article-19961-gut-instinct-feeling

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I love about Brooklyn is that even its yuppie neighborhoods have more of these sorts of places than just about anywhere in Manhattan. That donut shop reminds me of New Haven's Yankee Doodle, which was every student's favorite diner until it closed last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum I want!!!

    Tracy Letts' most recent play is (somewhat) about the dying independent donut industry. it takes place at a donut shop in uptown (chicago).

    ReplyDelete