Monday, September 28, 2009
Crown Heights Projects Moving Forward
Just a rundown from a week's worth of poking my head in and out of the local shops:
- The incoming dentist's office on Franklin between Park and Sterling has built a ramp to accommodate disabled customers, in accordance with local statues.
- The Slice, which has been absolutely hopping all summer much to my great delight, is bringing in bread bowl soups for the chilly autumn weather. Judy, Elwin and company plan to offer Manhattan clam chowder, lentil, and daily specials.
- The new takeout Chinese place coming in at Park and Franklin is taking shape, with their stoves and sinks being delivered last week.
- Followers of Brooklynian will know that not one but two coffee shops will be opening soon on Franklin. The Breukelen Coffee Shop plans to hold their grand opening on Saturday, October 3rd. You can follow the Pulp and Bean on Twitter for up-to-the-minute notes on their progress.
- Praxis, a citywide non-profit that provides housing for chronically homeless people with HIV/AIDS, chemical dependency, and other mental health issues, just bought the Lincoln Place Hotel on Lincoln and Rodgers, which they have rented for their operations since 1999. Their plans for the space include renovating it as a green building and providing more units of transitional housing (it currently shelters 40 adults).