Friday, October 30, 2009

Feel the Rush

I try to avoid being a smug, secular liberal when I blog, and I almost didn't post this photo of a storefront church at 98th Street between Livonia and Riverdale as a result, but curiosity got the better of me. Presumably, this storefront church was not named for PepsiCo's highly caffeinated lemon-lime drink, but if you google Mt. Dew (or even "Mt. Dew") the first few hundred entries are all soft-drink related, including a recipe for a Mountain Dew cake. I also learned, to my surprise, that Mtn Dew (the drink's official handle as of late 2008) is the 4th best-selling soft drink in the USA, behind Coke, Pepsi, and Diet Coke.

"Mountain Dew" is also a euphemism for moonshine that has spawned two songs, but I'm willing to assume that this wasn't the inspiration for a church name either. The only things that I could turn up with searches for "mount dew" were a church and cemetery in Caroline County, VA. It's perfectly possible that this Brooklyn church is an offshoot of the parent church in Virginia--many storefront churches in New York City are founded by young deacons or pastors with backing from a larger church "back home" to serve migrants--but since that's the only thing I have to go on, I'm not entirely convinced.

If anyone has another explanation for the name, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment