Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lookin' Tough, Billy C


I'm a big fan of murals, so I stopped and grabbed a shot of this one on the wall of a day care center at Hegeman and Osborn. Titled "Success Stems from the Start," it features the usual display of presidents, civil rights leaders, and other heroes, and it's one of the best I've seen (click on the photo for a larger view). I particularly like the MLK in the middle--public images of him are usually so bland. There is one twist: look at Bill Clinton over there on the far right! Has he ever made this face in public? (Apparently, yes). Barack and JFK look smiley and presidential, but bad bad Bill is hanging out in the corner posing for the paparazzi, or at very least daring you to vandalize the mural.

Two people who I showed this image to before posting it didn't find it all that funny, but I do, so up it goes. I get a kick out of what it says about our historical memory of the Clinton years, and the Clinton of those years, as well as how it sits slightly off-kilter to his current public persona.

1 comment:

  1. Whoever doesn't find that at least a little funny has a bad sense of humor. Bill Clinton looks like he is making a face that James Dean would make.

    ReplyDelete