Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Trees! Lit for the Holidays, Friends Year-Round

After some technical difficulties with the solar panels (no good deed goes unpunished), the fully-environmentally-friendly tree lights on Franklin are up and running, thanks to the efforts of the Franklin Avenue Merchants (see video above). If you see a lit tree in front of a shop, thank the folks who run the place!

In other tree-related news, ILFA received the following letter from tree-loving local Kyle, who has a number of great suggestions for ways to get and maintain trees on your block. As always, ILFA loves reader submissions - keep 'em coming!

In light of your recent post mentioning the trees on St. Mark's place, I thought I'd share that I got a tree too, right in front of my apartment building on Sterling!  It's a very healthy little Bald Cypress. It will have beautiful feathery green foliage in spring and summer which will turn to a lovely burnt orange or red in the fall.  Best of all, this tree is here because I asked for it!  I went to milliontreesnyc.org and requested a tree like this.  If you request a tree now, it will be planted during next year's planting season, between October and December.

For fun, here's a picture of me with my tree! See the smile? Trees = happy!

On to the real reason for my email...  After my tree was planted I wanted to officially adopt it, of course.  So I went here to do that and saw that there are lots and lots of trees in our neighborhood that really need people to help take care of them. I really hope that you can share that with the rest of your readers, and that some of them will take initiative and help a tree nearby.

Street trees do so much for us, including reducing energy costs, reducing negative effects of carbon dioxide and making our neighborhood beautiful, and they need very little in return.  All it takes is a bucket and five to ten minutes a week to check in, pull any weeds, pick up any trash and water the roots.  If you want to go the extra mile, you can buy a treegator (one of those green bags you see around young street trees) for about $25.  If you really want to go all-out, you can plant some bulbs and have pretty tulips and daffodils in the spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment