Something to look forward to this weekend at LaunchPad - this event sounds like great fun, and it's been organized by a pair of fantastic local folks. Also, Owl & Thistle, whose selection gets better every time I go in, has contributed a gift basket to their raffle, so it's a local lovefest. Check them out on FB or see the original invite here (or read on below):
Vegan/ AR Book Swap 2.0
Saturday, December 10th, 2-5pm
721 Franklin Ave (btw. Sterling & Park)
Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Hello vegan & veg-curious friends!
This is a gentle reminder that the next book swap is this Saturday. We hope that you'll be able to join us-- with or without books! We need your help to raise funds for Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary, a non-profit that provides shelter to cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, sheep, and goats who have been rescued from cases of abuse, neglect and abandonment. 100% of the money raised from this event will be sent directly to the sanctuary. Even better news is that a local Brooklyn guy has offered to match donations collected at the swap (up to $200). The best news is that an anonymous donor will match all sanctuary donations collected this month up to $100K!!! There's never been a better time to come hang out, make some friends, eat cupcakes, and pick up some books for yourself and your Secret Santa!
AWESOME RAFFLE PRIZES:
- A gift basket of exciting vegan goodies from Owl & Thistle General Store, an urban mercantile specializing in local, green, fair and direct-trade products. Located in Crown Heights. ($20 value)
- A $20 gift certificate to Chavela's Mexican Restaurant & Bar of Crown Heights.
- A $20 gift certificate to Terri, an all vegetarian quick service restaurant serving delicious, organic super foods seasoned like familiar favorites. Located in Chelsea.
- A vegan body care product from Raganella. Handmade in Prospect Heights with local and organic ingredients. ($18 value)
Please show the swap some love! Visit our Facebook event page and RSVP. Please also share it on your Facebook profile and/or tweet about it.
The vegan book swap was recently written up in Brokelyn!
"A book swap for animal lovers. (No leather-bound editions!)"
We were also mentioned on SuperVegan.
Here are answers to some FAQ:
Is this swap free and open to all, even non-vegans?
What should I bring to the swap?
Bring your awesome self and no more than 5 items to swap.
What if I don't have any books to share?
You can buy used books for $2 donation each and thus support the critters at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary!
I have lots of extra money in my wallet, what should I do with it?
You should totally enter our raffle! We'll have awesome prizes and the money goes to Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary.
What should I wear to the swap?
Elastic-waistband pants or empire-waist dresses are a good choice because there will be yummy vegan snacks available for purchase.
Do you need volunteers?
Yes! Thanks for asking. We need five fantastic volunteers who can to take a blood oath to show up at 1:45 and leave at 5:30 the day of the event, unless otherwise noted. We'll try to work out of a good compensation/ perk for all your help. Positions are:
1. Check-in: Responsible for getting folks to sign in, giving them book credits, and directing them to the pile-o-stuff.
2. Media assistant: Responsible for sorting incoming media donations and keeping pile-o-stuff in order.
3. Photographer: Responsible for documenting the event, emailing photos to us, and posting on Facebook. (2pm to 5pm. You can totally use your iPhone!)
4. Check-out/ Cashier: Responsible for making sure folks have the right number of credits for the number of items they leave with. Responsible also for assisting with raffle sales.
5. Concession: Responsible for selling treats at the event and helping set-up/clean up snack area.
Should I RSVP?
Show off how busy you are here.
See you soon!
Olivia Lane and Jamie Hagen
Olivia doesn't want to be the only one Googling herself.
If you wanna web-spy on Jamie.