Saturday, September 08, 2012

GO-files: Brian Knauer, Joseph Bolton, Ian Pawelec, Rebecca Potts, and Paula Overbay

(more profiles of local artists showing their work this weekend at GO Brooklyn)

Brian Knauer invites everyone to check out his work and that of his fellow artists at Fountain Studios (604 Grand Ave), where they will be hosting a reception from 6-8pm.

Joseph Bolton writes "I was born in Brooklyn, grew up in Queens ,then returned to Brooklyn in 1990. Have been  airbrushing cars and motorcycles in the style of Frank Frazetta and Boris forever but decided to concentrate on my real passion of acrylic painting due to the economy collapse of 9/11. I have to admit I was greatly influenced by Rembrant but what as the deciding factor was a piece by Harvey Dinnerstein. My favorite subjects are Brooklyn brownstones and ethnic life past present and future."


Ian Pawelec replied to ILFA's interview questions:


What kind of art do you make? Who are your artistic influences?

I am striving to creat a spiritual astheict for the future. My work explores our journey though the universe and the energy of life that connects us all. Most recently l have drawn heavy influence form the spiritual iconography of Late Renascence painting, Egyptian art, and African tribal culture. Mark Rothko, Blinky Palermo, and Basquiat have also been great influences on my work. 

How long have you lived in Brooklyn? How does being in Brooklyn influence your work?

I first lived in Brooklyn while attending Pratt a number of years ago. I've lived here just over a year since being back in the area. It has changed dramatically, there is just so much more here now. As an artist there is nothing quite like the creative energy of Brooklyn. Everything just moves and evolves here in such an awe inspiring way one can't help but be driven to create.  

If people come to your studio on Saturday and Sunday, what should they know about the work you'll be showing?

Action painting is a big part of my process and I hope to give visitors a look at that. All of my work is really about the viewers interaction with it, they are the ones who truly make it come alive. During GO I will be showing new paintings that no one has really had a chance to see yet. One of the pieces, The Portal of Life  measuring 7'x7' is unique experience to take in first hand. The work represents our journey though time. We are all focused on what lay ahead, though we can only see the bright shrapnel of the moment.

Artist Statement:
Using a unique visual language, Pawelec's pantings take viewers on a soulful journey through the universe. These "Expressions of the Abstract" explore life's energy as well as the great unknown beyond us. In his studio practice the artist employs his own pigment based paints, combining elements of action painting, physical layering, and fine brush work to render furiously free flowing yet intricate compositions. Defying conventional categorization, his work references a wide array of artists including Rothko, Basquiat, and Blinky Palermo. Most recently he has looked to late renaissance painters such as Michelangelo in creating a spiritual aesthetic for the future.



Rebecca Potts also replied to the same questions:


What kind of art do you make? Who are your artistic influences?

I work in a variety of media from printmaking and painting to photography and video to sculpture and installation. My work is tied together by its focus on the human relationship to land and environment. I am obsessed with maps and use and/or imitate them frequently in my work. I actually have a degree in Geography and spent countless hours in college in the GIS (Geographic Info Systems) lab making maps. I also do a lot of reading about climate change and that info burrows into my work. Artistic influences... Maya Lin, Agnes Denes, Andy Goldsworthy for his zen, Julie Mehretu, Mary Mattingly, Mark Dion, Phoebe Washburn, Future Farmers, the Canary Project, Edward Tufte, Jonah Lehrer, Olafur Eliasson, William Kentridge. I could go on and on...I have a rotating list of links on my website here: http://www.rebeccapotts.com/category/news/ that includes artists and organizations doing awesome work, especially connecting art and science.  

How long have you lived in Brooklyn? How does being in Brooklyn influence your work?

About 4 1/2 years, but they were split by 2 years in grad school in the midwest. I lived here from 2005-2007, when I worked at a public school in Bed-Stuy. I came back in 2010 after 2 years at Washington University in St. Louis and a year in L.A. Being in Brooklyn influences my work in a few ways. In terms of content, much of my work deals with mapping and our relationship to place, so the density of this place vs. St. Louis or LA or my Montana home has a huge influence. I have a series mapping my commutes over the years and the ability to take the train, bike, or walk to work makes these pieces and the experiences they represent very different from areas of the country where I would have to rely on driving. The other major influence here is scale - it's difficult to make and store really large work in the city, so I work smaller (for example, making a 4 ft installation instead of 8 ft).

If people come to your studio on Saturday and Sunday, what should they know about the work you'll be showing?

I'll be showing a range of my work (paintings, prints, photos, books, videos), but will have an in-progress installation on my walls. I'm revisiting some small (12" x12") sculptural collages that I made a few years ago (http://www.rebeccapotts.com/altered-landscapes/) and starting to experiment with making them larger and inserting them into a space on the walls/ceiling/floor. This project includes prints, drawings, hand-cut maps, and painting. I plan to continue working on this new idea and playing with it between visitors and I'm excited to hear what people think of it. 


And last but not least, Paula Overbay is not only opening her own studio, but is part of a team that created the "Aspire: GO" mural on Kingston and Bergen. She reports:

It took enormous teamwork from the community, friends and neighbors, our state representative Eric Adams and his staff, the KIngston Avenue Merchants Association, the young intern artists, the SOS team from the Mediation Center, the NYC Graffiti Removal Center and Sandra Hawkins, journalist.

The NUMBER 3 train to the Kingston Stop; out the turnstile to your right. You will notice the Jewish  Childrens Museum behind you as you begin walking on the Parkway. At the coming intersection of  Brooklyn Avenue cross the Parkway and continue for seven blocks, passing the Brooklyn Childrens Museum on your right. 

There will be a young artist intern who will be  delighted to show you the mural site one half block away. 

1 comment:

  1. I tried to vote on Go Brooklyn site. Not working !

    ReplyDelete