Brooklyn Fit Lab, Open For Business
The Avocado Sandwich at TasteBuds (with a shoutout to Sidney, who made this particular sandwich look extra-good and taste extra-delicious)
A new coffee shop on Park Place.
ILFA takes the better part of a week off, and what happens? I miss a whole pile of news and notes from the Franklin Avenue Merchants, who are forever building, renovating, improving, revamping, and reinventing their businesses in the endless quest for your patronage. Some of the latest bits and pieces are bundled here, but the best way to find out about new places or changes at old ones is just to walk in - I've never met a merchant along Franklin who wasn't happy to talk to a potential customer about what they have to offer and why.
- Local blogger Krystal caught up with Chadon Charles today, owner of Brooklyn Ink Spot and Bella Greens, to hear about his new venture, Brooklyn Fit Lab, at 654 Sterling. They'll be offering a whole range of fitness, martial arts, and dance classes for adults, as well as dance classes for kids, too.
- A whole range of places along the Avenue have started offering brunch, including 739 Franklin (who have fan-dam-tastic food - if you've only stopped in for a drink, you're not getting the whole experience), the Candy Rush (red velvet waffles, anyone?), and Barboncino (ok, they've been doing this for awhile, but still, brunch pizza!). Check them out when you need a break from the old standbys.
- Speaking of restaurants, 95 South is being re-invented as a soul food restaurant, and they, too, will be offering brunch upon their re-opening. Meanwhile, a coffee shop is moving into one of those corner lots on Park Place that were destroyed by the fire in Homage's kitchen a few years ago (poor Homage - they had just hit their stride, too). Unlike most places, which have to pay for sidewalk permits, their lot extends to the little fence in front of the building, which should make possible some great outdoor seating options.
- Speaking of re-openings, for those in need of nail care, Posh Nails will be getting a re-launch very soon.
- Finally, a number of places up and down the Avenue have begun offering promos and discounts, often through their websites or twitter accounts, but sometimes just posted in the window. TasteBuds, where ILFA had a killer sandwich for lunch, is offering students (with ID) a 10% discount all this week, and may consider extending it.