(view a larger map and more info from DCP here)
- As reported earlier on Brownstoner, the Department of City Planning has released its latest vision for the rezoning of "Western Crown Heights." Released on the heels of a narrow "no" vote from Community Board 8 (which has only advisory control in this case) regarding the conversion of 964 Dean Street to a live-work artists' space that hinged in large part on the question of affordable housing, this plan proposes some modest upzoning to provide for construction of some affordable units. It's also sure to generate plenty of debate (and hey, ya know where a great place to talk about all of this would be? That's right - the Town Hall Meeting this Saturday!)
- Montrose Morris' (a pen name, and a good one at that) excellent series on Black Brooklynites in the nineteenth century continues on Brownstoner.
The Crown Heights Community Mediation center have a few upcoming events for residents of Crown Heights. We hope you can share this information with your members and constituents.
- The Congresswoman Yvette Clarke's office in partnership with Brooklyn College is bringing Free Tax Preparation to the community of Crown Heights. This service will be available on Saturdays 10am-3pm at the Crown Heights Community Mediation center, 256 Kingston Ave (between Lincoln and St. Johns place). In order to continue this service, we need a decent turn out of people to attend and bring in their taxes. The income limits are: $60,000 for families and $25,000 for individuals. Clients should bring, valid photo identification, social security card, voided check if requesting direct deposit, all income and expense statements (W2, 1099s, SSI and other tax documents). For more information, please call: 718-773-6886
- The New York Legal Assistance Group will be having a Free Family Law/General Legal Help Day on March 20 10am-3pm at the Crown Heights Community Mediation center, 256 Kingston Ave (between Lincoln and St. Johns place). To make an appointment, please call: 718-773-6886.
- Fresh Air Funds Summer Camp Registration: We are presently registering young children for the free sleep away summer camp options offered by the Fresh Air Funds. It is a great opportunity for "City Kids" to get away and experience nature away from the fast paced atmosphere of the city. Registration is FREE, the whole program is free, but spots are limited. For more information and to make a registration appointment, please call: 718-773-6886.
- Monday Movies at CHCMC. This is a new, and fun program that is starting at the Mediation Center, we will be opening up our office for free movie nights and providing a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere for people to come together and have a good time. The next Monday Movies will be March 25th from 5pm-7pm, and we will be showing "Crooklyn." There will lots of popcorn and other refreshments.